From RCampus Wiki
Use our iRubric with Click-to-Grade Technology to build and share rubrics, or use it in conjunction with our LMS to distribute rubrics to students, assess their coursework and skills, and report their performance back to them.
You can also engage in collaborative and group assessment where multiple evaluators assess any item.
[+] What is a rubric
A rubric is a scoring tool that's generally used for subjective and authentic assessments. In subjective assessments, rubrics help create a certain level of objectivity. As a result, learners are more clear about the expectations prior to assessment and are clear about their areas of weakness and strength after the assessment. In authentic assessments (which are usually subjective), rubrics help educators communicate and assess levels of performance.
[+] Benefits of rubrics
- Clarify constraints with students, colleagues, other evaluators, administrators, and yourself.
- Communicate expectations with students: A rubric tells students what is expected of them, the grading criteria, what counts and what doesn't, how many points they will earn for each task, and how their work is graded.
- Bring objectivity to subjective scoring.
- Easy scoring and recording of it.
- Communicate grades with students: A graded rubric helps students understand how they were graded and what their areas of strengths and weaknesses are.
[+] Why use iRubric
iRubric is a comprehensive assessment technology that seamlessly integrates the process of creating, using, and sharing evaluation rubrics for busy educators. To use the iRubric system, simply create an account at www.iRubric.com and then build, organize, and archive all the rubrics for your courses, past and present.
First, a rubric is built using iRubric’s easy to use Rubric Studio. Either start from scratch or modify one of more than half a million rubrics posted by fellow teachers in the iRubric Global Gallery. You can then decide the evaluation categories, how much grading weight they will carry, split them into value columns, and then fill in the cells with an explanation of the grading criteria. With the evaluation criteria organized and detailed, the rubric can be used to objectively analyze a subjective assessment and provide students with a window into your expectations.
Once a rubric is created, grading becomes easy, efficient and integrated. You can access your rubric directly from the class gradebook, pick any student’s assignment, and simply click off each cell. iRubric will automatically calculate the grades and record them in your gradebook, saving you unnecessary stress and busywork while eliminating paper waste from school administration.
It doesn’t end there. By using the Rubrics Statistics function, you can produce an in depth statistical breakdown with just one click. By showing the class performance for each individual category and cell, Rubrics Statistics identifies criteria that require your further review and make it easy for understanding class performance and students’ needs.
iRubric not only makes assessment easy, but also flexible. You can choose to send a rubric to another teacher, an administrator, or even students for a Collaborate Assessment, so that multiple parties can evaluate and grade an assignment. With this function, a panel of evaluators from different parts of the country could objectively assess the same assignment with just a few simple clicks. Finally, you can post your rubrics in the Rubric Gallery, where teachers can connect, share, and discuss their evaluation criteria using iRubic’s discussion board.
[+] Benefits of iRubric
- Build simple to complex rubrics online
- Build rubrics from scratch or copy from others
- Expandable criteria sections
- Create multiple rubric sections
- Flexible points/percent weighting
- Score students using rubrics directly from a class gradebook
- Automatic score calculation using our Click2Grade technology
- Perform group assessment using rubrics
- Perform formative assessment using rubrics
- Enter feedback for each rubric criteria
- Reuse rubrics made by you or by others
- Share your rubrics with others at RubricGallery
- Learn how others use rubrics
- Organize rubrics by subject, coursework type, and grade level
- View a list of your own rubrics and bookmarked rubrics
- Customize and print rubrics
- Analyze rubric aggregate scores
- View breakdown of individual rubric scores
- Peer review the rubric using the built-in discussion board
- Email rubrics to others
- Showcase rubrics on your free website
- Embed rubrics in another webpage
- Link rubrics from another webpage
- Allow students to self-assess
- and more.
To start building rubrics, visit iRubric website.
[+] See also
[+] Learn More About Rubrics
- Rubrics at a glance
- Rubric terminology
- Rubrics for assessment
- iRubric - Enterprise Edition
- iRubric-for-Sakai Quick Start Guide
[+] Working with rubrics
- Building a rubric: Options for a new rubric
- Disabling a rubric: How to disable or inactivate unwanted rubrics
- Assessment with rubrics: How to assess with rubrics
- My rubrics: List of your own rubrics
- Printing a rubric: Customizing how a rubric should print
- Rubric search tool: Search for rubrics using keywords
- Sharing a rubric: Print, embed, link & showcase your rubrics
- Rubrics FAQ
- Rubrics video tutorials: List of video tutorials related to iRubric
[+] Our Rubric Tools
- Rubric Studio: Our suite of rubric building and assessment tools
- Rubric Gallery: Collection of public rubrics built by our members
[+] Read about us
Results from our program assessments indicated a need to provide detailed feedback to students using rubrics and in-depth reporting of key measures for analysis of overall teacher education programs effectiveness. iRubric proved to be an excellent solution for meeting these needs.
- Larry Riss, CIO, School of Education, Indiana University
iRubric is the easiest rubric wizard tool I have ever used. The wizard is intuitive and the staff is very open to feedback. The tool adapts easily to some of the large and complex rubrics I have used with it. The data reporting is amazing. It would take me so long to do the kind of aggregate reporting that iRubric provides to me instantly.
- Ross Durrer, School of Education, Indiana University
Thank you all so much. We are constantly impressed by your quick response and resolutions.
- Jimmy Rico, Educational Technology Center, Texas State University
iRubric made my life so much easier because of the way it compiled and aggregated the information for me. It broke every portion of the rubric data down for me so that I could compare which scores improved or decreased between the pre-assessment and post-assessment scores. What a wonderful feature! I shared with some other graduate students as part of my grad requirements and I told them to give RCampus a try!
- Deborah Breda, Masters of Education, Salisbury University
Using the eCommunities and Assessment features of RCampus, Missouri FCCLA was able to conduct online evaluation of student competitive event projects. It worked like a charm! Thank you so much for this wonderful service.
- Christine Hollingsworth, Supervisor and State Advisor, Family and Consumer Sciences Education, Missouri Family, Career and Community Leaders of America, Missouri Department of Elementary & Secondary Education