Manual registration is the process of building a class roster manually. This method is only good if you don't need your students to access course materials, submit assignments online or communicate with them, etc.
For a more efficient method of building a roster, see self registration.
How to register students manually
- From classroom top menu, select rosters.
- Select the class you want to access from the drop down list.
- Click on new student.
- Enter student information. The class will be highlighted in red with the roster () icon under the Enrollment Status section.
- Select Enrolled from the drop down list next to the class title and press [save].
- Repeat this process for each student in the roster.
Disadvantages of manual registration
- Adding all students one-by-one is very time consuming.
- Students will not have access to coursework materials, grades, message board, etc. until they have been authenticated and joined your class.
How to give students access to course materials
With the manual registration method, students still have to self register to gain access to course materials. This causes the class roster to show two entries for the same student, one that was added manually by the teacher and one from self-registeration by the student. In order for the student to access course materials, faculty will need to use the manage roster or student profile page to link the student record with his/her login name.